I’ll be honest — generally, when I post a “10 Things I’m Loving Lately” post, it’s because I haven’t written anything and need something to post. Fast.
However, they always get a good response, and since posting the last one, I’ve heard from a good handful of people asking me to make it regular.
Well, ask and you shall receive, folks. I’ve decided I’ll just make it a bimonthly thing. My brain is pretty happy about it, given that sometimes I feel I've just used up all my thoughts by the time I sit down to write a blog post or two. Does that make sense? It probably doesn't, but we're going to forge ahead anyway.
Without further ado:
- I dropped much of last month’s grocery budget on this pair of Madewell jeans and I have not for one second regretted my decision. They are cute, long enough, and fit properly — a trifecta that I'll have you know is all but impossible to achieve. Between my height, my butt (sorry, do we know each other well enough to have this conversation? Is this awkward?), and my GOOD TASTE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I can only ever get two out of three. It's a venn diagram situation that deserves its own post, honestly. It's complicated. And it made surviving primarily off things found in the depths of my freezer for a couple weeks 100 percent worth it. Let's move on.
- Drinking coffee from an actual mug at work! Why does this feel so much better than a paper cup? I'm not sure, but it does, and my desk feels so much cozier now.
- Speaking of mugs, my mom got me this MiiR camp cup recently ("for my little hippie") and I adore it with all my (little hippie) heart. It is adorable, functional, and a portion of the proceeds go to support the Bear Ears Education Center. Getcha one!
- Reading just for fun. Don't get me wrong — I love reading just about anything, and I crack the spine of every book with the intention of enjoyment. However, I'd been disturbed in recent months by my near-inability to focus on a book start to finish. This is it, I thought. My job is destroying my attention span. Twitter is eating my brain. However, a friend recently convinced me to read a certain YA fiction book that I'd avoided for quite some time; partly out of snobbery, and partly because I'd heard it was very sad and I would cry a lot. Said friend has excellent taste and swore to be on call for my tearfest, and with his endorsement, I finally picked it up... and crushed it in two days. My takeaway? Maybe my brain isn't being eaten by Twitter. Maybe my brain just needs a break from reading nonfiction — especially in a season where I'm writing it. I have decided that for the next few months, at least, I will dedicate my reading to the books that would normally get placed on the back burner and solely based on fun. The end.
- Tacodeli just opened a location in Plano. The amount of frontera fundido sirloin tacos I have consumed since is awe-inspiring. While I still give the original Austin location a slight edge over other locations — it just has a level of grease that I imagine doesn't fly well with health inspectors in a brand-new franchise — I can say with utter confidence that Tacodeli tacos are my favorite tacos on this planet. And they are now just ten minutes from my apartment. Jesus loves me.
- Modern Huntsman finally arrived in my mailbox this past weekend, and I've not stopped geeking out since. It's inspiring on so many levels for me. Well worth the wait (and the money), and I can't wait to see how future editions evolve.
- Cage the Elephant's Unpeeled album. I don't know why I didn't know this existed until recently, but it just puts me in the best mood.
- I've taken to buying a $3 bunch of eucalyptus every time I stop into Trader Joe's, just because it makes me feel so much better about life to have a big ol' jar of it on my bathroom counter. It smells wonderful and adds a beautiful burst of green and sometimes I feel like I am Gwyneth Paltrow while I am brushing my teeth. She probably has soothing plants in her bathroom, right? Like that's super goop. (Disclaimer: I don't read goop. I don't know what I'm talking about.)
- Erwin Park. Y'all know how important having a go-to "green space" is for me, and I've finally found mine here in McKinney. It's sprawling, with plenty of trails for mountain biking and running/hiking, and never fails me in the sunset department. Twenty minutes from my front door, but feels like a hundred miles from anywhere. Just what my soul needs.
- Getting to work early. Admittedly, this doesn't happen all the time. More and more regularly, though, I try to be the first one into the office for a precious half hour or so and get a quiet head start on the day. It usually means sacrificing the morning workout for an evening one; but given that by the time the day is over I'm antsy from sitting at a desk, regardless, it's a small price to pay!
There are my ten things for the past couple months. Your wish is my command — the only stipulation is that if I’m going to give you a regular, random list of things I like, you guys have to make one, too. Deal? Deal. Spread the Loving Lately and let a sister know.